Burnout and 5 Ways to Regain Positivity


During the last month or two of the spring semester, I always get into a funk, where I am exhausted, emotional and where I think over all of my life choices, as well as where I went wrong. For some odd reason, this tends to only happen during the spring semester most likely due to the fact that there aren't as many breaks as they are in Fall. Most of the time teachers still give you work to do during Spring break.
I am burned out. As I am writing this I am in the midst of Finals and I am looking forward to the break. Following I will have symptoms of  Burnout.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor! If you feel like something is going on please consult your doctor, don't take it lightly. Mental Health is truly important! 

First of all, what is Burnout?
Burnout is a state of chronic stress (longterm stress) which can cause Physical and emotional exhaustion, detachment and feeling of ineffectiveness and lack of accomplishment. ( Psychology Today)

Here are a few signs of burnout, while one can have these symptoms without having burnout it depends on the degree of these. If you are aware of the telltale signs of burnout you can keep an eye on it and maybe even prevent a full burnout.

Chronic Fatigue
Insomnia
impaired concentration and attention
Anxiety
Depression
Anger
Isolation
Feeling of hopelessness
Increased irritability

Again these are only a few signs of burnout and if you have multiple of these I suggest seeing a doctor. There is nothing shameful about getting help!

As I already have Anxiety without being burned out, being burned out often just amplifies it causing me to project my anxiety onto others, meaning I misunderstand people a lot more during this time. My concentration spam suffers greatly, I'd like to just be left alone and I often ponder on my life choices. Needless to say, I am digging myself a whole which I have to try to get out of. As you can imagine this isn't easy. So, there are a few things that I tend to do.
Disclaimer: These things work for me and may not work for you. In general, find the things that help you build the ladder!

1. Music
All throughout my life music has been that one thing that could always help me build that latter to get out of my dark whole that my mind had created. At the moment the group who seems to be doing the biggest part of the ladder building is NCT, I don't know why but their voices soothe me. They have definitely played a very big part in my last ladder building session, which quite honestly is still going on today and their music is my first choice when I get into the car every day. I sing in the car, I dance in the car (of course safely), I just let myself go and be happy with their music. I can't even put into words how much their music has helped and how much they mean to be. 여러 가지로 고마워요.너희들 모두 날 더 많이 도와 줬어.감사합니다 그리고 저는 여러분 모두를 사랑합니다.

2. Studying
This may seem a little counter-intuitive at first, however, what I mean by that is find something that you are passionate about and study about it. In my case, it is studying because I am trying to become fluent in Korean, so that I can actually communicate, even in the most rural areas, when I get to go back to Korea. Find something you are interested in it and work on it when you have time. No pressure, all on your own time. 

3. New Goals
Again, something you may not think would be a good idea. However, I try to set myself new goals like learning how to take better pictures, making videos, business ideas have even come forth when I did this. Sometimes these don't work out but setting yourself a new goal and a new dream can really push you out of you low and build that ladder to get out and be happy again. 

4. Me Time
Yes, even though Isolation is a sign of burnout, sometimes it is needed to take a step back and allow yourself to just be and relax. For me I watch a lot of YouTube, currently, I am catching up on 2 Day 1 Night or better known 1박 2일, the reason being it's a funny show and it makes me laugh and that is truly something you need when you have dug yourself into a dark hole. I also watch a lot of VLive and Viki. Most of the time I get my ideas of even video ideas when I watch shows. They are the reason I can set myself goals such as making more videos. These inspire me and inspiration is always welcome. Most of the time I also dive into Tumblr which can be a hard task to stop browsing and surfing. Allow yourself to take some time to yourself, not letting yourself relax is a reason why burnout occurs as well. That's why it is so important to take care of yourself. 

5. Good food
Sometimes food isn't really something you want when you feel down but trust me. If you make yourself good food, someone else makes you good food or even when you go to a restaurant. Food feeds the soul, don't eat crazy unhealthy things because that can just make you feel even worse. Lately I have been shameless and have done my happy food dances because food makes me happy. Experiment with food, try something new, be daring. Just make sure not to set the fire alarm off. 

Bonus. Excercise/Yoga
I have never been a fan of exercise, but I know a lot of times I dig myself into this whole because I don't like the way I look, I gained a lot of weight since moving to the US and I am not happy with it. So I started out doing simple yoga poses which helped me with my mood, but then I started adding bodyweight exercises to it, to help tone my body and start transforming. Even though it is going slowly I can see and feel a difference. This definitely helps build the later and I have also been consistent with it and not missed a day of doing it. Since I started I became much more flexible, I can now even do things I had trouble with during my Cheerleading days. 

I guess it all comes back to taking care of yourself. Making sure that you are healthy in mind and body. Life is busy and it is hard to find some time to yourself, but do it. Find an hour in the evening or here and there just some time to yourself. It will be better in the end. 

Again, I want to say that this is my personal experience, I am not a doctor. If you have any questions please call your doctor for a consultation. Take care of yourself. 


I love you and you are not alone! 난 널 사랑하고 넌 혼자가 아니야

xoxo, Nicole

x

Comments

Popular Posts