6 Advantages of Learning a Foreign Language


Learning a new language is an experience I can only suggest to everyone! There is something so magical about learning a new language and realizing how much you can understand, as you are on that journey, with every new word a new door opens.

I started learning my second language, which was English at the age of 10. At 13 I chose to learn my third language which was French. English was still continuing at the time as well. Obviously, English had opened up many doors and I am now fluent in it. Since I have lived in America for almost 10 years now I have to admit that my German has suffered just a little bit. You have to continuously practice your language or you lose it.

I am currently in the process of learning my 4th and 5th language which are Korean and Japanese. I am hoping of moving back to Korea after I finished my degree. This time I am determined to become fluent in it.

So many are unsure or scared to learn a different language so I thought I'd share a few reasons why it's actually good to know another language.

1. Job opportunities

Learning a new language can open many new doors, for example, job offers in different countries. Many workplaces prefer bilingual people which will already give you an advantage during your application process. Not only are the doors open wider for you in your own country but also get to look at job opportunities in other countries. The world is becoming more and more competitive, so why not branch out. 

2. Outsider perspective

Learning a new language also warrants getting to know the culture a bit better. This gives you not only an understanding of the culture which language you are learning but also gives you an outsider look at your own culture. You not only learn a new way of life but also start looking at your own life and culture in a different light. Learning another language and its culture can make a big difference in the way we think and in our beliefs. For a lot of people, it changes the way we look at others as well and maybe we can even be less judgemental due to this fact. 

3. Building Multitasking skills

Knowing more than one language takes some rearranging in your brain and lets you tap into skills you didn't know you had. It won't be easy in the beginning to switch from one language to the other but over time you will be able to flick the switch faster. This can come in handy on your day to day life as well as your brain gets used to "running multiple processes" at once. Like for me I have my PC screen split in two, on one side I have work I need to get done open, such as writing this post, and on the other side, I either have Netflix, YouTube or Viki on. Simply because over the years I have become so used to doing more than one thing at a time that it is hard for me two concentrate when I do not multitask. Keep in mind this is most likely not happening to you, it's just something I've developed. 

4. Improving Decision- Making skills

When thinking in another language, we think more critical and logical based due to the fact that we don't have emotions attached to the language per se. This will help you throughout your learning path and later on as you train your brain to think more logically and to put emotions that may be attached to the decision aside. 

5. Improving your native language

When learning a new language you will also learn the grammatical structure of it. In return, you will start looking at your own language a little bit different as well and will notice grammatical patterns easier. You will also think a bit more about how you write and pick up on mistakes you make easier. All in all learning a second language changes your thinking, in a positive way. 

6. Friendship

Learning another language creates friendships. Especially, if you are learning another language and have language partners who help you become more fluent and efficient in what is their native language. Like in my case I even met my husband who is American. I have gained so many amazing friends not only here in the US but also in Korea. Learning a new language opens the world to you! It might not always be easy but it will be worth it, trust me. 

I hope this helps you understand a little bit why learning another language isn't only fun but also important. I also hope that I could help you make up your mind on whether or not you should learn a new language. I say go for it, you have nothing to lose just more to gain! 


xoxo, Nicole


Comments

Popular Posts