7+ Tips for a successful college experience

Credit USF
Summer is over and that means it's back to school. While my daughter is already in and is enjoying it, my turn isn't until Monday. Today, I will be on my way to pick up my textbooks, with the craziness of the move I have decided to take the last online courses offered for my degree, this also means that I will have to go to two different campuses for my textbooks. Just a little ridiculous if you ask me however I need the books and will be going on my almost 3 hour round trip to get them all. 3 hours if there is no traffic, which in Tampa you know there will be traffic. 

Fall Semester is starting and while I am happy about it, I am also fully aware of the first semester jitters many will have on their first day. As a Junior, I have had my fair share of semesters. To be honest it took me a bit longer because I wasn't able to go full time. However, I wanted to share a few important things a Freshman might not think of or even if you are a Sophomore you may not be aware of these important things that will make your life a bit easier. 

The next two are insanely important especially during the first week.  

Get to class and take control- If you are heading to college far away from home or staying in the dorms, this is you having to adult. You need to take charge of your own life and be responsible. It is super important that you get to your classes also try not to be late because there isn't a chance for first impressions. It is on you to get to classes on time and actually get to them in general. Even if your professor doesn't take attendance, you WANT to be there. Because missing classes sucks and you are automatically behind. Getting notes from fellow student works BUT you may or may not understand them, you are missing the important part of it. 

Examine your Professor- No, not in the creepy way but there are professors that you may not click with and by that I mean their teaching style. Rather go withdraw and take the class with a different professor than sticking around and getting a bad grade. This is what DROP AND ADD WEEK is there for. I have had professors that didn't teach me a thing because their teaching style just didn't work for me. You may think oh first class you don't get the feel for them, wrong you will know whether that professor will work for you. With that being said, you will also have professors that you will not quite click but you will have to stick around because they are the only ones teaching the class. You will just have to make the best of it. Important side note, don't wait until the withdrawal date! You only get a certain amount of withdrawals! Do your class changes during the add/drop period! 

Talk to your Professor- People often times underestimate how important it is to talk to your prof. Ask question, ask to clarify. Make use of the office hours if you are unsure with some of the material. Keep in touch with your prof, no not for dinners or coffee but about academics. Email if you have questions. A lot of times it is a good thing if the prof can put a face to the name. No, it's not a bad thing if the professor knows your name. If, at the end you are between two grades or something the professors are more likely to work with you if they know who you are and see that you have put an effort into the class throughout the semester. 

Study- Well duh that goes without saying right? No, it actually has to be said, people tend to think oh I go to the lectures I'll be fine. No, you are wrong! You need to spend time outside of the classroom studying. You need to make sure you understand the material. Most important for Math and Science classes but also Language classes. Doesn't mean you get to slack on your other classes, these are in my opinion the classes you definitely cannot slack on!! This also means make use of the library, there is a reason why all colleges and universities have one! Take part in study sessions and study groups. 

Taking tests- I have anxiety as you all may know by now. However, I also had major test anxiety when I started college. This will pass. You will take so many tests and exams that it will be just another day when one is on your schedule for the day. Best way to prepare is to take previous test multiple times. If it is your first test make use of index cards. The best way for me to learn is to write things down again. That's the way I learn but everyone learns differently. Check your best method and use that to help you study. During the test make sure you answer the questions exactly. Don't add additional info and don't leave anything out! This is really important as you could lose points if you don't add sufficient data or insufficient data. There is a balance and you will figure it out trust me. You will get a feel for your individual professors and their requirements. 

What Major?- It is ok not to know what you want to do. It took me several tries to figure out what I wanted to do and find the balance of passion and future employment possibilities. I have been between Archaeology my passion all the way to Computer Science because I was aware that that pays a decent amount of money and has employment possibilities. However, I was not happy with it at all and I was miserable. Archaeology is my passion but I also know that I am not sure what exactly I would do with it and I am not sure if I want to travel so much for work and be away from my kiddo. I worked as a preschool teacher and during our time in Alaska I realized how much I miss my kiddos I had contemplated for a while to go into teaching because I always loved teaching my pre-k kids and loved helping out at my daughters school. The love for the kiddos and knowing I can make a difference in their lives made me decide to go into Elementary Education. 
This is your time to figure yourself out. Maybe you major going in but realize that it isn't for you and this is totally ok. Change your major. This is the time. 

Get Involved and Network- Important! There will come the time where you will need your connections from College. You will need people that have you on their good side when you go out into the real world. I was super shy starting out but throughout the years I have opened up. Even though I still prefer animals, especially dogs, over people I make an effort to have friends in my classes and to network. This will help you later on TRUST ME. As much as you hate it do it! Be part of organizations, make an effort to be part of your community! Also, don't be part of the community and do stupid stuff, this on the other hand can hurt you in the future. Be smart. Leave good impressions, make an effort in the things you do. Don't just sit in your dorm room and mope around. 

Last but not least and probably one of the most important things I could tell you is that you will feel overwhelmed, lost, and scared but it is OK! It is absolutely normal. There are times where you will probably cry and trust me I have been there! Cry it out, sometimes we all just need to watch some Gilmore Girls and cry it out! School is stressful, so many classes, so much studying, I understand. If you have one of those days, take a time out. Take a day off and relax. It is ok to not study everyday, I suggest you don't! Have a day where you just take some time off and let your brain breath and relax. You won't learn anything new if you are stressed out. 

All in all, I wish you all a wonderful start into the Semester or if it is your first, a wonderful college experience. Also remember, No means No! <- Check with your College on this subject. 

Go Bulls. 
XOXO, Nicole

Comments

Popular Posts